List of Natural Mineral Resources Found in Akwa Ibom State
Akwa Ibom is one of states in Nigeria blessed with rich mineral and natural resources. Located at the coastal southern part of the country, it shares boundaries Cross River State on the east, Rivers State by the west and Abia State on the south.
Akwa Ibom has a population of over five million people and its capital city is in Uyo, having about 500,000 residents. Akwa Ibom has been rated among the most peaceful states in Nigeria and is one of the highest oil producing states in the country.
In this post, we shall list all mineral and natural resources found in Akwa Ibom, ranging from agro-raw materials and how it is evenly distributed to the various local government areas within the state.
List of Mineral Resources Found in Akwa Ibom
1. Natural Oil & Gas: This is the major natural resource found in Akwa Ibom that accounts for 70% of the state’s development. Its because of this mineral that puts Akwa Ibom as one of the richest states in the federation.
2. Clay: This also has been found in commercial quantity in this state and has also been used very well for construction.
3. Glass sand: The mineral deposit of glass sand has put Akwa Ibom in the fore front of glass production. This kind of sand is rare and very pure and does not contain other unwanted chemicals.
4. Salt: There are various types of salt in Nigeria, but the one that can be found in Akwa Ibom is rock salt.
5. Silica sand: Silica is also used in glass production, agriculture and in water filtration. Other states where you can find Silica Sand deposits in Nigeria include Kogi, Kano, Ekiti, Jigawa, Delta, Ondo, Katsina State, Lagos, Plateau State, Ogun State among others
6. Granite: Due to the quantity of Granite solid mineral deposit in Nigeria and Africa as a whole, local and international quarrying companies have taken over the Granite supply business which yields income for the country at large.
Other natural mineral resources found in Akwa Ibom include Coal, Kaolin, Limestone and Lignite.
Agro Raw Materials
The following are agricultural crops found to be harvested in Akwa Ibom:
- Palm produce
- Forestry products
Others include: Banana, rice, raffia palm, coconut, timber, fish, rubber, cocoa, vegetables, ginger, yam.
Akwa Ibom also has an airport of international standard and two major seaports functioning at the Atlantic Ocean. The state government also plans to build a world-class seaport named “Ibaka Seaport” at Oron.
For sporting activities, the state boasts of a 30,000-seat ultramodern sports complex, built to FIFA standard which makes it the best stadium in Nigeria at the moment.
The major languages in the state include Ibibio, Annang, Eket and Oron.
Local Government Areas
There are 31 LGA’s in Akwa Ibom state and they are:
Abak, Eastern Obolo, Eket, Esit-Eket, Essien Udim, Etim-Ekpo, Etinan, Ibeno, Ibesikpo-Asutan, Ibiono-Ibom, Ika, Ikono, Ikot Abasi, Ikot Ekpene, Ini, Itu, Mbo, Mkpat-Enin, Nsit-Atai, Nsit-Ibom, Nsit-Ubium, Obot-Akara, Okobo, Onna, Oron, Oruk Anam, Ukanafun, Udung-Uko, Uruan, Urue-Offong/Oruko and Uyo.
These are the tourist attraction centres present at Akwa Ibom today
- Ibom Tropicana
- Ibeno Sand Beach
- Oron Museum
- National Museum, Uyo
- Amalgamation House
- Lord Lugard Residence
- Mbo Forest Game
- Slave Masters Lodge, Itu
- Presbyterian Church, Itu
- Mary Slessor House Tomb
- Royal Niger Boat Yard
- Sculptural Women Monumen