Is Tinted Glass Legal in Nigeria?
The latest news on tinted glass permit in Nigeria shows that the former IG of police banned the issue of tinted permit due to the increase of crime and abuse of such privileges’ by certain vehicle owners. When you’re on the highway or in your neighbourhood, it’s not unusual to see cars with tinted windows passing by. A car owner might tint their windows and windscreens for various reasons such as for security or to block sunlight that could trigger bad reactions in people with certain illnesses or skin conditions.
Although, police officers in Nigeria are no longer allowed to request customs documents or tinted glass permits from vehicle owners at checkpoints. The IGP on November 7, had directed the suspension of tinted-glass permits and SPY police license plates for vehicles. If you live in Nigeria and are thinking about buying or installing tinted glasses for your vehicle, you probably want to know if it’s allowed and how to get the licence. Keep on reading to find out.
IS TINTED GLASS LEGAL IN NIGERIA?
Yes, tinted windows are permitted by law in Nigeria, but drivers need a special license from the police to use it. The NPF has the discretion to approve or reject tinted glass permit applications based on the stated reasons for installing the tint. Without a valid tinting permit from the police, it is illegal to operate a car with tinted windows.
THE POSITION OF THE LAW ON USE OF TINTED GLASS IN NIGERIA
Let us see what the law says concerning the use of tinted glass in the country. Although, the use of tinted glass in vehicles is legal in Nigeria, it is only possible if the vehicle’s owner applies to and receives approval from the Nigerian Police Force (NPF).
However, there are two scenarios in which the NPF might approve a car owner’s request for tinted glass permit. Safety comes first, followed by physical and mental wellbeing. In order to obtain a tinted glass permit in Nigeria, one must first persuade the appropriate authorities. The NPF will decide whether to grant or deny the tinted glass permission based on the submitted explanations.
A car owner in Nigeria is not expected to employ tinted glass if the Nigeria Police Force (NPC) has denied the owner a permit to do so. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with tinted windows or glass without first obtaining a permit from the NPF. By the provisions of section 4 subsection (1) motor vehicles (prohibition of tinted glass) act, 1991 any person who commits an offence under the Act “shall on conviction be liable to a fine of N2000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both such fine and imprisonment”.
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A TINTED GLASS PERMIT IN NIGERIA
To acquire a tinted glass permit in Nigeria, there are specific prerequisites that need to be met. The Nigerian Police Force evaluates applications based on two main conditions. In order for a car owner in Nigeria to apply for a tinted glass permit, they must fulfill at least one of these conditions. The two conditions are as follows:
- Security Reason
The majority of tinted glass permit applications in Nigeria are submitted on the grounds of security. In this context, vehicle owners are required to demonstrate to the relevant authorities how tinted glass provides an additional layer of protection while on the move.
Prominent individuals such as entertainers, footballers, high-ranking public officials, and other public figures often utilize the security reason to support their applications for tinted glass permits. The key lies in effectively persuading the concerned authorities, particularly the Nigerian Police Force, about the benefits of tinted glasses in maintaining a certain level of privacy and security during transportation.
Another reason that can lead to the approval of a tinted glass permit by the Nigerian Police Force is if the vehicle owner has a medical condition or skin ailment that may worsen due to exposure to harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. To obtain a tinted glass permit based on this reason, the vehicle owner must provide a valid medical certificate issued by a certified healthcare professional.
ADVANTAGES OF HAVING TINTED WINDOWS IN YOUR CARS
Having tinted windows in your vehicle can provide several benefits in Nigeria. Here are some of the advantages:
- Privacy and Security: Tinted windows offer increased privacy by reducing the visibility into your vehicle. This can help protect your personal belongings from prying eyes, reducing the risk of theft or vandalism. It also adds an extra layer of security by making it harder for potential criminals to see who or what is inside the vehicle.
- Protection from UV Rays: Tinted windows can block a significant amount of harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from entering your vehicle. This is particularly important in Nigeria, where the sun’s intensity can be strong. UV rays can cause damage to your skin, accelerate the aging process, and fade the interior of your car. Tinted windows help protect both you and your vehicle’s interior from these harmful effects.
- Heat Reduction: Nigeria experiences high temperatures, especially during the hot season. Tinted windows can help keep your vehicle cooler by reducing the amount of heat that enters the cabin. This reduces the reliance on air conditioning, leading to improved fuel efficiency and lower energy consumption.
- Glare Reduction: The bright Nigerian sunlight can create intense glare, making it difficult to see the road clearly. Tinted windows can help reduce glare, providing better visibility and minimizing eyestrain while driving. This enhances safety by improving your ability to see pedestrians, other vehicles, and potential hazards on the road.
- Interior Protection: Tinted windows can help preserve the interior of your vehicle. Constant exposure to sunlight can cause fading, cracking, and deterioration of your upholstery, dashboard, and other interior components. By blocking a significant amount of sunlight, tinted windows help keep the interior cooler and prevent sun damage, thus prolonging the lifespan of your car’s interior.
- Energy Efficiency: Tinted windows can contribute to better energy efficiency within your vehicle. By reducing the heat buildup inside the cabin, you can rely less on air conditioning, which can consume a significant amount of fuel. This can lead to cost savings and reduce your carbon footprint.
HOW TO APPLY FOR TINTED GLASS PERMIT IN NIGERIA
To obtain a permit for tinted glass in Nigeria, please follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Visit the official website for tinted permit of the Nigerian Police at www.npf.gov.ng/tinted.
- Provide all the necessary information as required.
- Click on the “Submit” button to proceed.
- You will receive a login password for further access.
- Enter the details of your vehicle, including proof of ownership, driver’s license, and car insurance number.
- Upload the aforementioned car details through the designated portal.
- After uploading, click on the “Submit” button and make sure to print out the confirmation page.
- Take the printed copy of your online application to the Nigerian Police Force Headquarters located in your state of residence.
- At the headquarters, proceed to the ICT Department for registration, capturing, and biometrics of your fingerprints.
- Once the capturing process is completed, you will be given a document with the inscription “UNDER PROCESSING” along with a signature and date.
- Periodically visit the portal you created on the Nigerian Police Force website to track the progress of your tinted glass permit application in Nigeria.