How to Quit Your Job in Nigeria Professionally
Are you looking for help on how to quit your job. You have decided to move on and want to resign from your job. Follow the resignation guidelines to resign in a diplomatic and professional manner. Use the free sample resignation letters to make sure that the process of leaving your job is properly and smoothly managed.
Regardless of your reasons for leaving, your resignation should not involve anything negative or critical of the company, your boss or colleagues. It is essential that you avoid bad mouthing previous employers.
THIS IS WHY:
- You may need to use the employer as reference later in your career.
- It is your best interest to leave a positive impression behind. All business network and interact, information is passed around quickly.
- The resignation letter will remain on your employment fie and could be shared with potential future employers.
- You do not want to have to avoid ever running into your boss or colleagues again because you left on bad terms.
- Keep your resignation positive and polite means you avoid any risk of libel or defamation liability.
TOP TIPS ON HOW TO QUIT YOUR JOB
- Avoid bragging to colleagues about your wonderful new opportunity. Rather focus on what you have gained from the company and what you will miss when moving on. This way you leave on good terms.
- Follow company guidelines when resigning. Particularly follow our contractual obligations with regard to notice period. Traditionally this is two weeks but you will need to check your employment contract.
- Organize any outstanding benefits pay or any compensation due to you.
- You can volunteer to work new recruit to train them in your job.
- Be productive until the day you leave. Avoid taking the approach that it doesn’t matter what you do during your notice period, this just create animosity towards you.
- Do your best to complete assignments and tasks before you go and leave easily accessible information for your replacement.
- If you resign verbally it should be confirmed in writing.
WRITING YOUR LETTER OF RESIGNATION
- Make sure you know who to address you letter of resignation to and who should receive copies.
- Don’t use the company letterhead for your resignation letter. Using company stationery to write your resignation letter is considered inappropriate.
SAMPLE OF RESIGNATION LETTER
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your phone number
Ms Jane Smith
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Ms Smith (or first name if you have an informal relationship),
Please accept this as formal notice of my resignation from the position of Accountant at XYZ Corporation, effective two weeks from today. My last working day will be November 4th 2008.
After much consideration I have decided to accept another job offer. I feel it is time for a new challenge and this is a good opportunity to further Y career goals.
Working for this company has been a wonderful experience. I feel privileged to have been part of such a professional team and will miss all my colleagues.
I appreciate both the professional and personal growth opportunities that have been provided to me during my time with the company. I would like to thank you in particular for all your advice and support. I hope that we will stay in touch as I begin this new chapter in my career.
I wish you and xyz corporation continued success in the future.