Latest Prices of Used Cars in Nigeria 2023 (Buyer’s Guide)
We provide latest information on prices of used cars in Nigeria 2023. Aside from knowing how much cars are currently sold in Nigeria, we also give useful tips to know when buying a used car in Nigeria, and finally where to get reliable used cars in Nigeria.
WHY BUY A USED CAR IN NIGERIA: REASON
Owning a personal car in the country is very important especially if you are the type that spends more minutes in transit. While getting a comfortable vehicle seems expensive, Nigerians look for a cheaper car model that is comfortable and durable rather than spend millions on a brand new one.
Take for instance, the price of a brand new Toyota Camry 2017 model costs around ₦12,000,000, while the cost of a 5 years used Toyota Camry in Nigeria is ₦4 to 5 million which is why people prefer going for used cars.
The market for used vehicles of mostly all brands/ models is available in the country. One needs to be certain of what type of used cars to purchase according to one’s budget.
TYPES OF USED CARS IN NIGERIA: DIFFERENCES
Used cars in Nigeria are of two types. It can either be a foreign used vehicle (tokunbo) or locally used. All depends on the vehicle’s usage history.
The difference between a foreign used car and a locally used vehicle is that a foreign used car or tokunbo vehicle has been used in abroad before its been shipped to Nigeria while the Nigeria used car has been used in Nigeria.
Truth be told, foreign used cars are better of than Nigerian used vehicles. Cars imported or bought from abroad are more durable and are well maintained on roads than local vehicles. Most foreign used cars would give less problem for repairs than Nigerian used vehicles.
HOW TO BUY A USED CAR IN NIGERIA THE RIGHT WAY
When buying a used car in Nigeria, you have to be very careful as many have fallen prey to fraudulent car sellers in the country who claim they are legit.
Using the cheap method to buy a used car is never the right way. See the steps to follow when buying a used car in Nigeria.
STEP 1: UNDERSTAND YOUR NEEDS
Knowing your preferences is the primary step when you want to buy a car whether it has been used or even if its brand new. Mind you that your choice or preference should go hand in hand with your budget.
For example, if you need a car for just day to day transportation like going to the office, then you can go for a small vehicle like Volkswagen Golf, a Toyota Camry model, etc. If you are a family person and would like to carry your wife and children and cruise around town, then you might want to go for a vehicle like Toyota Sienna or an SUV with a third row seat.
Sometimes the roads might be bad in your vicinity with potholes and bumps. Here, you would need a rugged vehicle like Toyota Highlander, RAV4, Honda Pilot, Nissan Xterra, etc. Just go for that kind of car that would suit your needs.
Another thing you should check out for is the car features. Most people would love a good sound system in their cars, others love a car with a rear view camera. All boils down to the choice and preference of the buyer.
STEP 2: KNOW YOUR BUDGET
No matter the choice you make in getting a used car of your choice, your budget determines whether you will end up purchasing the car or not. You would need to be realistic in knowing how much you can buy a used car in Nigeria.
For instance, if you have two million Naira, getting a foreign used car becomes impossible or better still you go for the Nigerian used cars like a Toyota RAV 4 2006 model. All still depends on how realistic your budget is.
STEP 3: LIST OUT YOUR “CAR OPTIONS”
After setting a realistic budget and knowing the type of car you want, the next thing is to list out the options that suit the budget. This will enable you get a clear picture in your decision making.
If you want to list out Japanese cars to buy, you should check these options which are cheaper: Toyota Camry, Avensis, Corolla, Honda Accord, Sedan or Nissan. If you opt for the German cars, then you should consider Volkswagen Passat, Audi A4, BMW sedan or even a Mercedes Benz C.
STEP 4: CARRY OUT RESEARCH ON THE CARS LISTED
At this stage. you have to know more about the cars you have listed as possible options to buy. Carrying out a research on these vehicles ensures that you have the right information concerning them so that you are not thrown off guard.
If you are confused, its best you meet people who are currently using the cars or have used the vehicles that you have listed. What I advise most of my friends is to go online to automobile/car forums where such topics on foreign used cars are reviewed at length.
In Nigeria, we have a popular forum, Nairaland, just go to the auto section of the site and ask questions, you will surely get answers. Questions like how durable is the vehicle? Is it easy to maintain and the fueling aspect are just but a few you can ask.
STEP 5: INSPECTION OF VEHICLE
Be it a foreign used vehicle or a Nigerian used car for sale, inspection is and will always be a must. You will be surprised at the faults you will find in a clean looking car if you rush and buy one without thorough inspection.
In this stage, you are to inspect every part of the vehicle; from the body parts, engine, exhaust, calibrator, fuel tank, every automatic gear box and other components that makes up a car. If you are confused, go with a seasoned mechanic, who is an expert in such and can help you inspect the vehicle.
This will ensure that you make the right call when purchasing any type of car of your choice. Do not overlook any motor fault because if you do, you might end up spending more money than you purchased the car.
STEP 6: CHECK ALL PAPERS RELATING TO THE VEHICLE
At this stage, ensure that all documents required in purchasing the car is complete and verified.
To avoid been harassed by road law enforcement officers, custom officers, make sure that you collect every necessary receipt you would need to ensure smooth usage of the vehicle.
PLACES YOU CAN BUY USED CARS IN NIGERIA
Depending on your choice and budget, you can purchase used vehicles in Nigeria at:
Private Car Dealers: This works well with Nigerian used cars as its easy to spot an individual who wants to sell his or her vehicle. If you like the vehicle and it fits your preference, you can meet such persons and state your intentions, before a deal in agreed.
Car listing websites online: In today’s world, you might have noticed that cars now sells online and Nigeria is not an exception. There are many online car listing sites, but the one ones with reputation include Checki.com.ng and Jiji.ng. We have searched these platforms and we can authoritatively tell you that both tokunbo cars and locally used vehicles are available at affordable prices.
Apapa auto market: This is the largest market where used cars are sold in Nigeria. Be careful though so as not to make mistakes and follow the above steps when buying any used vehicle at the Berger Apapa auto market.
CURRENT PRICES OF USED CARS IN NIGERIA (2023)
Toyota Corolla Prices in Nigeria (Tokunbo)
- 2005 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic >>> ₦1, 700,000 – ₦2, 500,000
- 2005 Toyota Corolla S >>> ₦1, 800,000 – ₦2, 600,000
- 2005 Toyota Corolla 1.3 >>> ₦1, 900,000 – ₦2, 400,000
- 2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8 >>> ₦2, 000,000 – ₦2, 500,000
- 2007 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic >>> ₦2, 000,000 – ₦2, 600,000
- 2007 Toyota Corolla CE >>> ₦1, 800,000 – ₦2, 300,000
- 2008 Toyota Corolla 1.8 VVTL-i >>> ₦2, 900,000 – ₦3, 500,000
- 2009 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦1, 800,000 – ₦3, 000,000
- 2010 Toyota Corolla 1.3 >>> ₦2, 600,000 – ₦3, 600,000
- 2011 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦2, 000,000 – ₦2, 800,000
- 2012 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic >>> ₦4, 500,000 – ₦5, 200,000
- 2013 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦4, 000,000 – ₦5, 000,000
- 2014 Toyota Corolla Automatic >>> ₦7, 500,000 – ₦8, 500,000
- 2014 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦6, 000,000 – ₦6, 500,000
- 2015 Toyota Corolla LE Automatic >>> ₦6, 600,000 – ₦7, 000,000
- 2015 Toyota Corolla S Automatic >>> ₦6, 300,000 – ₦7, 000,000
- 2016 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦6, 000,000 – ₦7, 000,000
- 2016 Toyota Corolla Automatic >>> ₦7, 500,000 – ₦8, 500,000
- 2017 Toyota Corolla (Brand New) >>> ₦12, 000,000 – ₦15, 000,000
TOYOTA COROLLA PRICES IN NIGERIA (LOCALLY USED)
- 2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8 >>> ₦850,000 – ₦1, 450,000
- 2008 Toyota Corolla 1.8 VVTL-i >>> ₦1, 000,000 – ₦2, 000,000
- 2009 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦1, 200,000 – ₦1, 500,000
- 2011 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦1,300,000 – ₦1, 500,000
- 2014 Toyota Corolla >>> ₦1,500,000 – ₦2,500,000
COST OF FOREIGN USED (TOKUNBO) TOYOTA CAMRY IN NIGERIA
- 1996 (Camry Orobo): ₦800,000 – ₦950,000
- 1997 – 2001: ₦1 million – ₦1.5 million
- 2002 – 2006: ₦1.4 million – ₦2.1 million
- 2007 – 2011 (Camry Muscle): ₦2.6 million – ₦3.7 million.
- 2012 – 2014 (Camry Muscle): ₦4 million – ₦6.5 million
- 2015 – 2017: ₦9 million – ₦16.5 million.
PRICES OF NIGERIAN USED (LOCAL) TOYOTA CAMRY IN NIGERIA
- 1996 (Camry Orobo): ₦300K – ₦350K
- 1997 – 2001: ₦500K – ₦800K
- 2002 – 2006: ₦750K – ₦1.1 million
- 2007 – 2011 (Camry Muscle): ₦1.4 million – ₦2 million
- 2012 – 2014: ₦3.5 million – ₦5 million
- 2015 – 2017: ₦6 million – ₦9 million.
We shall update this used car prices list in Nigeria as we gather more information concerning them.