How To Become An Airline Ticket Agent in Nigeria
An Airline Ticket Agent is a trained personnel who works hand-in-hand with airline companies. These people perform a variety of tasks which makes their job to be very important. In this article, we will take a gander at how to become one of these airline ticket agents in Nigeria.
AN OVERVIEW OF AIRLINE TICKET AGENT JOB
An airline ticket agent is a person who works for an airline company and is responsible for selling tickets in airports. Although their responsibilities may vary, first-on-the-list ticket agents are largely responsible for this. Because of the required certification level, the position is quite competitive. A normal diploma will suffice, although airlines always favor applicants who have past experience.
AIRLINE TICKET AGENT JOB REQUIREMENTS
A diploma certificate is required for employment as an airline ticket agent, but due to the high level of competition, a degree course will be quite beneficial. Aside from that, they prefer someone who has prior experience or has received training. If you are new to the job, flight schools can provide you with training. They primarily train pilots, although some flight schools, particularly those that are FAA-approved, also provide training for other airport personnel positions.
The minimum age to apply is usually 18 or 20 years old, depending on the airline company. Prospective airline ticket agents are expected to have above-average written and communication skills. Knowing the native language is also advantageous. Because you will be dealing directly with clients all day, communication skills are essential.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF YOU
An airline ticket agent is responsible for a variety of tasks, including:
- Deliver excellent customer service — Because the ticket agent interacts with consumers all day, this is a top priority. It’s only natural that he/she has excellent customer service abilities.
- Ticket sales and scanning — The ticket agent is in charge of ticket sales. They may find themselves scanning and collecting them at the boarding gate on occasion. As a result, ticket agents are also referred to as airline gate agents. They’re also in charge of seat assignments at the boarding gate.
- Carrying heavy luggage – The ticket agent is responsible for all the customer need, including lifting the customer’s bags to the conveyor belt. Some luggage are heavy, and some may contain fragile items like as laptops, therefore handling customer luggage requires strength and caution.
- Make bookings – It is the ticket agent’s responsibility to make or cancel reservations. This can be done over the phone, online, or in person. Their role is usually to confirm it, call customers to double-check, and ensure that there is no confusion.
PAYMENT AND SALARY OF AIRLINE TICKET AGENT IN NIGERIA
Some airlines prefer hourly compensation, which averaged around ₦4,400 per hour. For starters, the monthly compensation amount is estimated to be around $12,000 dollars, or roughly ₦3.7 million monthly. Unless you choose to work for the municipal or regional airports, which pay significantly less, a monthly salary of ₦300,000 is not an exaggeration.
JOB OPPORTUNITIES FOR AIRLINE TICKET AGENTS IN NIGERIA
Airlines and reservation companies are frequently on the lookout for qualified Reservation and Ticketing agents. Because consumers often change their plans, there is always work to be done in this sector, and airlines and agencies will always require skilled and qualified personnel.
All these mean is that if you have the necessary qualifications, you will almost certainly be able to obtain work as an airline ticket agent. The majority of Nigerian airline companies offer good salary to their ticket agents.
HOW TO BECOME AN AIRLINE TICKET AGENT IN NIGERIA
How do you become an Airline Ticket Agent in Nigeria? Do you want to work as an airline ticket agent? Here are steps on how to get the job of your dreams.
STEP 1: ATTEND FLIGHT SCHOOLS AND TAKE COURSES
Physical and online courses are provided to assist you in developing skills and becoming familiar with the responsibilities of a reservation and ticketing agent. You will be considered as more qualified for the work role if you take a course. Ticket agents are needed to hold at least a reservation course diploma in most ticketing and airline firms. These courses are crucial because they will help you become more effective in your career as a ticketing and reservation agent.
STEP 2: HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF A LOCAL LANGUAGE
You should possess a working knowledge of the local language. Working as an airline ticket agent in Nigeria requires you to be fluent in at least one local language. This is critical for consumer communication.
STEP 3: BE COMPUTER SAVVY
You must be able to operate a computer successfully if you want to work as an airline ticket agent. This is because, in order to make work easier and more structured, most organizations now use computers and software instead of manually filling out documents and reservations. Reservations are made, confirmed, changed, and cancelled using software tools.
STEP 4: REGISTER TO GET STARTED
To Begin, register with any of the airline company you wish to be working with. You will have to send down your application to these companies or you can apply to the government airline agencies. That’s if it’s not a private company.
FLIGHT SCHOOLS OFFERING TRAINING FOR TICKET AGENTS
Training for Ticket Agents is available from flight schools. There are a number of flight schools in Nigeria where you can learn how to work as a Ticketing and Reservations agent:
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) Lagos — IATA School in Lagos offers a variety of diploma courses and services to assist you in becoming a better worker in the aviation industry. Most importantly, the college offers nationally and internationally renowned courses in reservation and ticketing.
- Dhaewood Aviation Business School (DABS) — This is Dhaewood in South Korea aviation school operating in Nigeria. This school provides facilities and courses that will prepare you to be a better Airline Ticket Agent in any company you work for, whether it is an airline or a reservation company.
That’s the size of this article on how to become an airline ticket agent in Nigeria. This write-up was excessive on the nature of the job, description, requirements, salary, and other things. We believe you now have the idea of what’s involved in an airline ticket agent job in Nigeria.