Dentist Salary in Nigeria: How Much They Earn (2023)
Dentistry is an aspect of medicine that deals with the health and treatment of the teeth and mouth. Just like every other aspect of medicine, a Dentists can choose to be general practitioners or specialists.
The salary that dentists in Nigeria receive is dependent on some factors. Since its a medical course, dental practitioners receive good pay for their services in hospitals, clinics, health centres where they are employed. Before we delve into how much dentists earn as salaries in Nigeria, lets look at the various areas of dentistry in the country.
Different areas in dentistry include:
- Dental Public Health
Dental public health deal with the prevention and control of dental diseases in a particular community. Generally, they uphold the good dental health of the public.
Endodontics is concerned with root canal treatment by removing the nerve and blood supply from and injured or infected tooth.
- Oral Pathology
Oral pathology deals with oral diseases such as ulcers, bumps and cancers.
- Oral And Maxillofacial Radiology
This deals with the diagnosis of diseases in head and neck areas through the use of imaging technologies.
- Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery
This concerns the surgical repairs of a cleft lip, palate or casting out impacted teeth, jaws and gums through series of procedures.
This deals with the straightening of the teeth by applying pressure on the teeth with braces or any other dental appliance.
- Dentofacial Orthopedics
This is a specialty of dentistry that deals with the alignment of the teeth and dental arches.
This is a branch of dentistry that is focused on the structures surrounding and supporting the teeth.
This a branch of dentistry that deals with the design and artificial replacement of the teeth and other parts of the mouth.
Who Is A Dentist ?
A dentist is a medical practitioner who treats teeth problems and is licensed to practice the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and malformation of the teeth, jaws and mouth. Dentists examines x-rays to diagnose a patient’s oral problem. They fill cavities and place sealants where necessary as well as remove decays from the teeth, they remove bad teeth and also repair fractured teeth.
It is no surprise that a dentist salary structure would be as high as that of a pharmacist salary or even a medical doctor’s take home pay, because of the kind of work done by these professionals. They also teach patients how to wear dental appliances like braces. Dentists can also correct a crooked teeth, poorly aligned teeth and close gaps that develop between the teeth. Dental treatment help improves smile.
Therefore, dentists use cosmetic dental procedures for teeth cleaning. Dentists advise patients on oral care by encouraging them to constantly brush and floss their teeth. A dentist administers anesthetics to prevent pain while treating the teeth and often recommend the right medication and antibiotics afterwards.
Top Dentistry Accredited Schools In Nigeria
There are many top dental schools in Nigeria, but the ones that have modern equipment and good lecturers are few .Below are the best universities that offers dentistry as a course of study in Nigeria:
- Bayero University in Kano
- University of Ibadan in Ibadan
- University of Port Harcourt in Port Harcourt
- University of Benin in Benin
- University of Lagos in Lagos
- University of Maiduguri in Maiduguri
- University of Nigeria Nsukka in Nsukka
- University of Calabar in Calabar
- Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile-ife
- Ogun State College of health Technology in Ilese-Ijebu
- Federal School of Dental Technology and Therapy in Enugu
- Health Science and Technology in Makarfi
What Does It Take To Be A Professional Dentist?
To be a professional dentist, there are stages and educational hurdles to climb. First, you are to acquire the normal O’level Certificate with at least credit in major science subjects including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. An individual who has passion for dentistry would go ahead to acquire a bachelor’s degree or a diploma in any dentistry accredited school, the program will last for about 5-6 depending on the institution.
After medical school, the dentist is required to get a house job which would last for a year. Where he would work with other medical personnel. Dentists are paid N120,000 to N180,000 as salaries depending on the level and hospital. Dental house officers work in a government hospital usually earn more than those on private hospitals.
As soon as the house job is completed, the dentist is expected to go for one-year mandatory National Youth Service Corps where they would be deployed to hospitals to serve.
Dentist Salary Structure in Nigeria: How Much They Earn (2023)
There a rew factors that affect how much a dentist earns as salary. In fact, years of experience does not only affect a dentist’s salary, it also has a say in level and expertise.
Years of experience is a determinant factor when it comes to salary of dentists. As often the case, the more years of experience the higher the salary. Below are what Dentist earn on a monthly basis:
- A Dentist with 0-2 years’ experience earns about N292,000 monthly.
- A 2-5 years experienced dentist earn about N392,000 monthly. There is 34% increment more than someone with less than two years’ experience.
- A 5-10 experienced dentist could be paid N510,000 monthly. There is 30% increment more than someone with 2-5 years’ experience.
- That is to say that a dentist’s start up salary may double before he gets 10 years’ experience.
- Also, dentist(s) who has got up to 10-15 years’ experience get a/are paid about N617,000 monthly. There is 21% increment more than dentist with 5-10years of experience.
- Experience level 15-20 years could go home with N675,000. There is 9% increment more than dentist with 10-15 years of experience.
- Finally, dentist with more than 20 years’ experience earn N710,000 per month. There is 5% increment more than dentist with 15-20 years of experience.
However, salary variations may differ from person to another.
How Much And How Often Are Bonuses Being Paid To Dentists?
Dentistry is said to be a high bonus-based job. After a research carried out 23% of the surveyed staff reported that they have not received any bonuses or incentives in the previous year while 77% agreed that that they received at least one form of monetary bonus in the last one year.
Types of Bonuses in Dentist Salary
- Individual Performance-Based Bonuses
This is a type of bonus where the employee is rewarded based on their exceptional performance.
- Company Performance Bonuses
Sometimes, some companies may decide to celebrate excess profits with their staff. Therefore, they grant collective bonuses to everyone. Although the amount of the bonus may differ from one person to another and may depend on the company’s organogram.
- Goal-Based Bonuses
This is a form of bonus given as a staff achieves an important goal or milestone.
- Holiday / End of Year Bonuses
These forms of bonuses are granted to appreciate the staff and given to take care of their vacation or annual leave.
Note: Bonuses differs from commissions. People tend to be confused with the two terms. A commission is a fixed rate at which someone gets paid for items sold or deals completed while a bonus comes at will.