Cost of Relocating to Germany from Nigeria with Family (2024)
Are you thinking of moving to Germany from Nigeria with your family? Though you might see it as tough, however, it can be an exciting and life-changing experience. The only thing involved is got you to understand and plan for the associated costs involved in the process. From visa fees to housing, education, healthcare, and daily expenses, this article aims to provide an overview of the financial considerations and challenges that families may encounter when moving to Germany. By understanding the cost of relocating, you can better prepare yourself and ensure a smooth transition for you and your loved ones.
REASONS TO RELOCATE TO THE GERMANY
Germany is a country located in Central Europe known for its strong economy, rich cultural heritage, high quality of life, and excellent education and healthcare systems. There are several reasons why individuals and families may consider relocating to Germany from Nigeria:
- Economic Opportunities: Germany is the largest economy in Europe and offers a wide range of job opportunities across various industries. The country is known for its technological advancements, research and development, and a highly skilled workforce. Many Nigerians seek better job prospects, career growth, and higher wages in Germany.
- Education System: Germany is renowned for its world-class education system, offering a wide range of academic programs and research opportunities. The country is home to numerous prestigious universities and institutions that provide high-quality education across various disciplines. Many Nigerians choose to relocate to Germany for pursuing higher education or to provide their children with access to quality education.
- Healthcare System: Germany has a well-developed healthcare system, known for its high standards and accessibility. The country offers comprehensive health insurance coverage and advanced medical facilities, attracting individuals seeking top-quality healthcare services.
- Political Stability and Security: Germany is known for its political stability and commitment to upholding democratic values. The country enjoys a reputation for safety and security, making it an attractive destination for individuals and families looking for a peaceful and stable environment.
- Standard of Living: Germany consistently ranks high in terms of the standard of living, offering a high quality of life, social welfare benefits, and a strong social support system. Access to clean air, efficient public transportation, and well-maintained infrastructure are among the factors that contribute to an enhanced standard of living.
These are just a few reasons why individuals and families consider relocating to Germany from Nigeria. There are many more to experience when you get to the country.
GERMANY VISA FEES IN NIGERIA
Are you looking at relocating to Germany from Nigeria? That’s a nice move as there are many things to gain by going to the European country. However, knowing how much a visa will cost you is very important. The following are the prices of different German visas in Nigeria.
SHORT-STAY SCHENGEN VISA
- The visa fee for adults (from 12 years old and above) is EUR 80, equivalent to approximately 40,000 Nigerian Naira.
- Children between the ages of 6 and 12 years old pay a reduced fee of EUR 40, equivalent to approximately 20,000 Nigerian Naira.
- Children under the age of 6 are exempted from paying any visa fee.
NATIONAL VISA (LONG-STAY VISA)
- The visa fee for adults is EUR 75, equivalent to approximately 37,500 Nigerian Naira.
- Children between the ages of 6 and 12 pay a reduced fee of EUR 37.50, equivalent to approximately 18,750 Nigerian Naira.
- Children under the age of 6 are exempted from paying any visa fee.
Please note that visa fees are subject to change, and it is recommended to check the official website of the German Embassy in Nigeria or the website of the German Federal Foreign Office for the most up-to-date information regarding visa fees.
COSTS INVOLVED IN RELOCATING TO GERMANY FROM NIGERIA
Moving to Germany from Nigeria involves various costs that need to be considered for a smooth transition. Here are some of the key costs associated with relocating:
- Visa Fees: The visa fees for Germany, as of February 2021, are EUR 80 for adults and EUR 40 for children between the ages of 6 and 12. Children under 6 are exempted from visa fees. It is essential to factor in these fees when planning your relocation.
- Travel Expenses: The cost of traveling to Germany can include airfare for each family member, transportation to and from airports, and any additional travel-related expenses. The exact cost will depend on factors such as the number of family members, the time of travel, and the chosen airline.
- Accommodation: Finding suitable accommodation in Germany is crucial. Renting or purchasing a house or apartment comes with expenses such as security deposits, agency fees, and monthly rental costs. The prices vary depending on the location, size, and condition of the property.
- Moving Household Goods: If you plan to bring your household belongings with you, you will need to consider the costs of shipping or moving them to Germany. This can involve hiring a moving company or arranging for shipping containers, which can be an additional expense.
- Health Insurance: Health insurance is mandatory in Germany. You will need to budget for health insurance premiums for your entire family. The costs will depend on the type of insurance coverage chosen and the number of family members covered.
- Education Expenses: If you have school-age children, you may need to consider the costs of education. This can include school fees, uniforms, books, and other related expenses. International schools, in particular, can have higher tuition fees.
- Daily Living Expenses: It is important to budget for daily living expenses, including groceries, utilities, transportation, and leisure activities. The cost of living can vary depending on the city or region in Germany.
COST OF A TRIP TO GERMANY
A typical 7-day vacation to Germany costs $1,379 for a lone traveller, $2,217 for a couple, and $2,208 for a family of four. In Germany, hotels typically range from $50 to $222 per night, whereas the majority of vacation rentals range from $130 to $400 per night for the entire home.
For economy class, a round-trip ticket from Nigeria to Germany typically costs between $750 and $1,179 per person, and for first class, between $2,355 and $3,702. Depending on the activity, we suggest allocating between $38 and $78 per person per day for transportation and eating at neighbouring restaurants.
Relocating to Germany from Nigeria with your family involves several costs, including visa fees, travel expenses, accommodation, and daily living expenses. It is important to plan and budget accordingly to ensure a smooth transition. It is also critical to have a valid reason for moving to Germany. There are various visa choices accessible for Nigerians who want to relocate to Germany; by choosing one of these options, you will be able to determine the type of visa you will apply for and the restrictions you must meet. Moving to a different country might be tremendously challenging, but it can also be extremely advantageous. As a result of your experience relocating to a distant country, you’ll be exposed to a new life in Germany. I believe the information contained in this article was helpful.